Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Same But Different: Sewn Bind-Off

Some of the very first things one learns as a new knitter is how to cast-on and how to bind-off. What you aren't told in those early days, as you struggle awkwardly to master the long-tail method, is that there are many, many different ways to do the very same things.

I, being just a teeny bit lazy, am inclined to stick with the standard. It's easy. I know how to do it without looking at instructions or a tutorial. I can cast-on stitches using long-tail in my sleep and I generally bind-off stitch over stitch. But, it is important to realize that different cast-on methods and different bind-off methods create different and potentially awesome results.

Last year I learned a sewn bind-off while knitting Romi Hill's Fairy Snow Cap. The sewn bind-off used in the pattern provides a wonderfully "finished" look that melts easily into the 1x1 ribbing of the hat. It stretches, it is substantial, and while subtle - it makes a difference in the overall look of the finished knit.

Recently, I needed a quick project to satisfy my need to finish something (Anything!) and so I started Clara Parkes Hill Country Hat. Let me say that to me a hank of slightly rustic, colorful, tweedy goodness is pretty darn irresistible. I have nothing but praise for the simple, classic hat pattern.

















I made my Hill Country Hat slightly longer to create a slouchy effect that better suits my enormous 'noggin and I added a pom to use up the last of the 142yd skein of tweedy Rowanspun Chunky. The only other modification? Romi's sewn bind-off. Totally worth the extra effort of referencing the tutorial. Totally worth the extra time.

Here is a link to Romi's tutorial for the Sewn Kitchener Rib Bind Off in case you'd like to give it a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment