Thursday, September 17, 2015

Weaving Wonderland

A friend gifted me a second-hand 10" Cricket loom!


I have been in love with the idea of weaving for a while now... I often joke that knitting is a gateway hobby to the harder stuff like spinning and weaving. It seems to be true, at least in my case. Sure, I'll knit a little - a scarf here, some fingerless mitts there - that's how it starts.

I'm now the proud owner of three spinning wheels - a Fricke, a Lendrum and a mysterious antique wheel that lives in my basement and taunts me with enticements to refurbish it. Given this (along with the many bins/totes/boxes of yarn stash) it also seems natural that eventually weaving would turn my head.

This Cricket, made by Schacht, seems small and perhaps limited in scope and use. But I've found it to be a wonderful learning tool (I have produced nothing that I would allow to be photographed) and fun way to explore the wide world of weaving.

Best of all? Newfangled Dad is caught up in the weft of weaving! Something about the orderly nature appeals to him. He has actually practiced far more than I have - so much so that he has started toying with patterns in his practice piece.

I look forward to experimenting with some handspun in weaving... A sort of the culmination of all my dark arts.


Notice that he doesn't have access to the "good" yarn yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment