Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Knit First, Swatch Later

So, I knit a February Lady Sweater.

It's...

It's done.  It's colorful.  It's big.  It's ugly.

Sometimes, I get caught up in the excitement of something new.  The entitlement of getting to enjoy myself.  The idea that I should be able to have what I want.  So, I knitted a sweater without swatching.  Did I mention that I also knit a sweater without measuring me?  Which may not seem like such a huge deal, except I had a baby in October and I have no clue what my current measurements might be.

My solution?

Knit the largest size.  Knit the largest size in a crazy hippy variegated brown and an avocado green.


I'm sure I don't need to go into details about the outcome...  Needless to say looks of horror grace the countenance of even the kindest citizens when I wear it.

I blame myself entirely.  I read and hear comments every day where people are righteously indignant that life involves work.  Whining that folks may not have what they want with head-spinning immediacy.  You mean I might have to do something to get what I want?  Life occasionally requires drudgery.  Swatching is my drudgery.  Swatching makes me WAIT.  If I had swatched for the February Lady Sweater I would have had a lovely garment, something I could be proud to wear.  I would like to give my "Don't let the February Lady Sweater happen to you" lecture to every person I hear complaining about the necessary - but perhaps less than thrilling - tasks that need to get done before...

Life is one giant sweater people.  Don't skip steps, and don't whine about the details.  Those details can make or break the end project.

1 comment:

  1. If it makes you feel any better, the armpits on my first sweater came to my elbows. And, I still don't think your color choices are ugly. In any case, YOU are AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete