Sunday, January 8, 2012

Rekindling Lost Love

Most people trip through life leaving a small trail of lost relationships; boyfriends, girlfriends, high school friends, work acquaintances, roadbikes...

What, roadbikes?

This is Tucker.  He and I have quite a history.  We used to spend hours together - mornings, evenings and weekends.  For the last couple of years he has been relegated to a dark corner of the basement.  I have recently decided (and it has less than NOTHING to do with a New Year resolution) that it is time to rebuild my relationship with Tucker, after all a good friend is worth keeping.


Even if the a gym membership was in the budget (it isn't) I don't know where I would find the time.  Somehow that extra step of needing to get to and from the gym makes it much more daunting.  I have no intention of training for a triathlon any time soon and I don't imagine that a century ride is the in cards for me this summer.  It seems, somehow unfair, to spend the only precious family days we have on the weekends leaving for a long ride that will take me several hours. 

However, I do miss the idea of riding.  I miss sweating.  I definitely miss having calf muscles.  As a result I have opted to drop Tucker off at Bike Fix for a tune-up.  This time around his basement home will be out in the open, where he can spend the winter accessible in the bike trainer.  I can simply sneak down after Gummy Bear and Jelly Bean go to sleep.  It will give me the opportunity to catch up on all the reading I am currently letting lapse in favor of knitting.  It will give me a reason to listen to all the music I am ignoring in favor of podcasts.

I wonder if I can knit while I ride...

No comments:

Post a Comment