Monday, December 5, 2011

Happy Hands at Homemade for the Holidays

Christmas is coming, had you heard?  I thought you might have failed to notice the holiday WalMart commercials incessantly screaming Jingle Bells.  Let me point out the obvious for you: You're supposed to go out and buy a bunch of shiny, brightly-colored, plastic "Made in China" crap that you can't afford and the recipient doesn't need.

I am not a grinch.

Well I am, but...

We are taking a staunchly non-consumer approach to this holiday.  We will be focused on activities we can do together as a family:
  • Visiting Santa at Macy's (bring on the screaming toddler!)
  • Christkindlmarket
  • Baking cookies (this is all Newfangleddad, I don't bake)
  • Community holiday events
  • Homemade gifts

Let me clarify the homemade gifts because everyone lives in fear of the "happy hands at home" gift.  You open it.  You see it.  You vomit just a little in your mouth.  You aren't completely sure what it is.  Everyone is looking at you.  You smile uneasily and exclaim appreciation.  Later, you quietly bury it in the backyard... just to be safe.

That is NOT what we are doing.  Our gift recipients will be receiving matted, framed works of art by the Gummy Bear.  They are awesome.  Not to mention, grandparents are contractually obligated to love such gifts.


I am also knitting for Grandma Kathy.  She will be getting the Easy Lace Scarf designed by Marci Blank from the book Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders and a pair of Sherwood Mitts designed by Ashley Knowlton.  Both are knit in Classic Elite Skye Tweed.
She lives in Ohio, so I will never know if they end up buried in the backyard... just to be safe.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should start calling him Gummy Pollack. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete